This year’s MoHo Realty Architecture Movie series, sponsored by North Carolina Modernist Houses and MoHo Realty, starts this Thursday, October 1, at the James B. Hunt Jr. Library Auditorium in Raleigh with a special screening of the 2014 documentary “The Competition.”
“The Competition” is a raw account of how some of the best architects in the world, including Jean Nouvel, Frank Gehry, and Zaha Hadid, struggling to beat the competition for the National Museum of Art in Andorra, a tiny nation between France and Spain. Called “mud wrestling with architects, this is the first competition to be documented, producing an unclassifiable film that turns into an intense thriller.”
Monthly now through February, the MoHo Realty Architecture Movie Series will screen hard-to-find architecture-related films in the Hunt Library Auditorium at NC State University with one additional film in downtown Raleigh in November.*
The series line-up includes:
- Small Houses Double Feature:“Lustron: The House America’s Been Waiting For” and “Little Boxes: The Legacy of Henry Doelger,” on Thursday, November 5.
- *Downtown Special Event:“Modern Ruin,” the story of Philip Johnson’s New York State Pavilion at the World’s Fair, on Saturday, November 14, at Kings Barcade, 14 West Martin Street in downtown Raleigh.
- Holiday Starchitecture Double Feature:“Xmas Meier” and “Gehry’s Vertigo” on Thursday December 3.
- “Romanza: The Structures of California Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright,” on Thursday, January 7
- Double Feature:“Archiculture” and an animated short feature “Me and My Moulton” on Thursday, February 4.
Doors open at 7 p.m. Tickets are $10 at the door. Cash and credit cards are accepted. Mod Squad members get in free until capacity is reached. The first 100 NCSU students with a student ID get in free. NCSU Friends of the Library receive 10 percent off tickets with their Friends of the Library Card. The Hunt Library is located on Centennial Campus at 1070 Partners Way, Raleigh. Free parking is available adjacent to the library.
Series sponsor MoHo Realty specializes in modern and unique architect-designed homes in Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill. Other series sponsors include VMZinc and Hill Country Wood Works. For more information on the series, the films, and to view trailers, go to www.ncmodernist.org/movies.
About NC Modernist Houses:
North Carolina Modernist Houses (NCMH) is an award-winning, 501C3 nonprofit organizations established in 2007 and dedicated to documenting, preserving, and promoting Modernist residential design. The website is now the largest open digital archive for Modernist residential design in America. NCMH also hosts popular architecture events every month and frequent home tours, giving the public access to the most exciting residential architecture, past and present. These tours and events raise awareness and help preserve these “livable works of art” for future generations. For more information: www.ncmodernist.org. Find NCMH on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.